You’ve spent months rising and caring on your cannabis to produce wholesome flowers, or “buds.” When you could also be tempted to dry and use your harvested cannabis as shortly as potential, taking the additional time to correctly remedy your marijuana flower will result in a considerably higher remaining product.
What Is Curing Marijuana?
Curing your cannabis is the ultimate step in rising and harvesting your individual dried marijuana flower for consumption, whether or not that’s by smoking, vaping, making edibles, or extra. Curing of marijuana occurs instantly after the plant has been harvested. It’s a extended drying course of that makes use of environmentally managed circumstances to take away the moisture out of your cannabis flowers and permit the plant’s cannabinoid and terpene packed oil to completely mature.
Why Is Curing Marijuana Vital?
As an outline, curing and drying your marijuana after harvest:
- Will increase the efficiency of your marijuana
- Prolongs the shelf lifetime of your marijuana
- Improves the flavour and scent of your marijuana
Marijuana growers primarily remedy their flower as a result of it’s a vital course of for preserving the efficiency of the flower’s compounds and different pure constituents. That is notably necessary in the event you’re rising medical marijuana and counting on specific cannabinoids.
The curing course of encourages partial decarboxylation, a course of that converts sure compounds into new ones. For instance, cannabidiolic acid (CBDA), present in contemporary cannabis, regularly turns into the extremely wanted cannabidiol (CBD) through the drying course of, whereas tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) turns into the psychoactive compound tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Correctly cured marijuana flower stays potent and flavorful for for much longer than uncured marijuana, which might develop into moldy comparatively shortly. That is notably necessary in the event you’re hoping to retailer your marijuana for future use, or depend on at all times having sufficient that’s prepared to make use of between harvests. Properly-cured marijuana flower can final for as much as two years if saved in an hermetic, moisture managed container in a cool, darkish place.
Curing marijuana flower after harvest additionally enhances its taste and scent. A gradual curing course of preserves the flower’s terpenes, the fragrant compounds that give cannabis its distinctive taste and scent. Curing helps be sure that the flower’s delicate taste undertones are extra pronounced, whereas uncured, moist flower can have a grassy or hay-like taste.
How Lengthy Does It Take to Dry Marijuana?
The cannabis curing course of — from as soon as the flowers are harvested to when they’re prepared for consumption — normally takes a couple of month.
There are two main steps within the curing cannabis course of:
- The preliminary drying step takes as much as two weeks, relying on how the cannabis plant was grown and the humidity the place the flower is positioned to dry.
- The ultimate cannabis curing step takes a minimal of two weeks, however some growers discover that curing for 4-Eight weeks produces better outcomes.
Methods to Remedy Marijuana?
In case you search for how lengthy to remedy cannabis, you’ll discover a number of solutions. Whereas there are a number of methods to remedy cannabis flower, most individuals use a variation of a single standard methodology that has proven to usually produce high-quality buds that are perfect for consumption.
Right here’s a glance, based mostly on that standard methodology, at dry and remedy cannabis.
Step One: Preliminary Dry Trim Course of
Skilled marijuana growers usually use an preliminary drying course of that aids in slowing the speed of evaporation to forestall the vegetation from drying out too shortly.
- Reduce branches 12-16” lengthy out of your cannabis vegetation and take away undesirable leaves.
- Cling the branches from thick string or wire.
- Retailer the hanging branches in a darkish room with temperatures saved at 60°-75°F and humidity at 45-55 p.c. To optimally protect the flower’s taste and aroma, add a small fan to the room to softly flow into the air.
- Round 5-15 days later, or as soon as the flowers really feel barely crunchy and small branches simply snap off, gently take the branches down and proceed to the subsequent step.
Step Two: Hashish Flower Curing
As soon as your cannabis flower is generally dry, it’s time to maneuver on to the ultimate curing step. This will take a number of weeks and a bit little bit of diligence, however correct marijuana curing is vital for optimum style and efficiency.
- Accumulate a number of hermetic containers (however not plastic baggage). Growers generally use quart-sized, wide-mouthed canning jars. Tinted jars are preferrred as a result of they assist stop UV mild from seeping in and degrading the flower’s compounds.
- Trim the flowers from the plant’s branches.
- Pack the flowers loosely contained in the hermetic containers, filling them about ¾ of the best way to the highest with out crushing the buds.
- Seal the containers and retailer them in a spot that’s cool, dry, and darkish.
- In the course of the first week, open the containers for 5-10 minutes a number of occasions per day. This enables the moisture leaving the flowers to flee and replenishes the oxygen contained in the container.
- After the primary week, open the containers simply as soon as each few days to let the flowers breathe for a couple of minutes.
- Proceed the curing course of for at the least 2-Three weeks. Many growers discover that curing for 4-Eight weeks improves the standard of the flower much more.
After the curing course of, the publicity to air can oxidize and degrade the cannabis, so it must be prevented. Hold your well-dried buds within the hermetic jars. In case you plan to retailer your cured flower long-term, a vacuum sealer could also be helpful. You may be taught extra about storing marijuana on our Hashish 101 web page.
Study Extra about Rising Marijuana
With legal guidelines associated to medical marijuana and leisure marijuana increasing authorized entry all through the USA, extra persons are fascinated by studying develop and harvest their very own cannabis.